Friday, June 12, 2009

War, what is it good for?

century of claims
arguments galore
what's mine is mine
what's yours is mine

better than you
our blood is pure
like fine wine
your ancestry in question
your peasant lines

god is against you
guiding light
convert by sword
or perish and die

contrived destruction
reason unknown
someone makes money
young men die

for or against us
no middle ground
whatever the reason
will start the war

stir up the blood
in a faraway land
too many bullets
find the mark

letter sent home
our regrets are many
your son has died
a brave solider he
cries of the mother
anguish of dad

coffin is lowered
taps is played
draped flag is folded
triangle in size
gunshots ring in the air
21 in all
a tribute to the fallen

won't be the last
many to follow
always the young
always to young

6 comments:

linda said...

I sometimes think that if women were in power there may be less war.

Although, thinking about Margaret Thatcher, that kind of blows that theory out of the water.

Sometimes war unites people. More often it just makes no sense to me.

raydenzel1 said...

Most of the wars America has fought, the reasons were made up. The Spanish-American war was started to sell more newspapers. Sad.

The Topiary Cow said...

Agree on the made-up reasons (see Iraq's weapons of mass destruction)

Cow could see it if we invaded every country that was messed up, and practicing genocide. Granted Iraq was messed up. But so are a lot of other countries and we don't see to be doing anything about their plight.

Palin is the one who scares Cow. Trigger happy, macho, yet serene in her belief that she, and her religion, have all the answers and the right to dictate those answers to everyone.

Moo!

raydenzel1 said...

Moo:
Plenty to be scared of. I have plans to hide under my bed for , I don't know, 20-30 years or so.

Anonymous said...

I think is my favortie poem so far. A lot is said with just a few words. Very powerful.

raydenzel1 said...

Thanks Bella.
I do what I can with what I got. I think this is a style that suits me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...