Thursday, July 1, 2010

Know Thy Neighbors?



Now that you are older and moved away from home and found a home and a neighborhood in the city that you liked or was convenient for work or school the question comes up. Do you know your neighbors?

When you were little, when you weren't allowed off the block, you knew all the other children around you, house by house. Who you could play with, or couldn't. As time went on, your territory grew larger, learned how to ride a bicycle, walked on your own to school and learned it was a big world out there to explore.

Somehow though when one gets older, you can lose that sense of community, that sense of wonder of the world around us. People and more people become somewhat suffocating in the daily going ons of life.  You are polite to some, tolerant to others, and ignore the rest. Drive home, garage door opens, drive in, close the door and not come out until the next day.

It is not that much different for those who live in an apartment or a condominium.  At least an apartment shows one living apart from others, by name at least.



A house gives refuge, but loneliness too. Some are looking to be apart from others, a small price to pay.

That's me waving at you, saying Hi, just don't get to close.

4 comments:

linda said...

We had new neighbours move in over the road from us. I have not spoken to them. In fact, I am the most private neighbour. I speak to nobody. My husband hates that I am like that but in my mind high fences make good neighbours.

Then again, I am a friendless git.

middle child said...

Everyone knows me. I am that crazy lady sitting on the porch, smoking. I know men, women, children and even dogs! I understand the part about not really getting together with the neighbors. I personally think it is because women have to work and also because it is now the norm to have the kids involved in as many structured activities as the hours allow.

raydenzel1 said...

linda, middle

The very nature of the job of selling in retail forces me to interact with many people for hours on end. I compare it to being an actor, on a stage. When the play is over, off I go. It is mentally stressful, and not much is left somedays for the outside world.

Even though I have a crazed sense of humor, unless we know each other well, you may not know it.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda
I was thinking, no neighbors make good neighbors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...