Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let Them Read

Sometimes the only way to find out if anything is worth anything is to ask. Recently I brought some of my poetry to work to be read by a few of my co-workers, women of course, who I have had some meaningful conversations in the past.  Yes, I picked them hoping for a favorable response.

I gave them about ten poems, left them alone, and hoped for the best.  Talk about a gut check. Posting on the web is one thing, face to face another. Then I returned.

One thing I noticed immediately is they looked at me differently. I was cast in a new light. I heard words like "powerful, sad" and I wish I was there and glad I wasn't, and "beautiful".

I had opened up a window to my inner being and they seemed to appreciate it. One said I should read at a coffee house on a poetry night.

It did give me hope that my writing is not a useless endeavor.

Whew.

6 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Congratulations! It takes great strength to show your "inner self" to co-workers. I'm glad your responses were favorable.

raydenzel1 said...

Travel
Thanks. I did have the "what am I doing" moment, but since they said they would read, I hoped for the best.
It encourages me to do more.

linda said...

It is good to expose yourself. Not that I would ever, ever, ever do that. But I love hearing when people do.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda
It is like going up to a beautiful woman and saying hi.
One never knows what will happen next.

Kat Mortensen said...

It is definitely a big step to go beyond the blog, but it can be both rewarding and affirming. It's true, people do see you in a very different light when you share yourself.
I find just saying I'm a "poet" gets odd looks that suggest I'm just frittering away my time, but when someone reads my work, that tends to change.

Good for you, Ray!

Kat

P.S. Thanks so much for posting my badge.

raydenzel1 said...

Kat

To be honest, the looks are kind of cool. I love the change of perception people have of me. It is all good. It was definitely affirming in a very positive way. Good luck on your move. Your book, which I ordered , missed the autograph, will be read on my lunch break each day at work.
P,S.
My pleasure.!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...