Thursday, December 30, 2010

For Kodachrome Fans, Road Ends at Photo Lab in Kansas

by A. G. SULZBERGER

click on the reporters name for the link.

It all ends today for the ionic kodak film that changed how we looked at photographs.  Like many other things in life we grew up with, like LP's changing over to CD's, there will be some that say the feel and quality of pictures will never be the same. Here is a salute to the billions of out of focus pictures stuck in boxes in basements and attics around the world, capturing that singular moment we cherished for a moment, forgotten forever.

Paul Simon said it best didn't he! This song came out in 1973! 
Why back in 1973, I was this many fingers old...


Some more info:

Kodachrome film first hit the photography market in 1936 and on June 22, 2009, Kodak officially retired Kodachrome color transparency film after 74 years. Any photographer who ever took a picture has fond memories of this film and probably a few thousand 35mm Kodachrome slides stashed in a closet somewhere. Paul Simon immortalized Kodachrome film and the Nikon camera with this song in 1973.

Lyrics to Kodachrome:

When I think back on all the crap I've learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all
Though my lack of education hasn't hurt me much
I can read the writings on the walls

Kodachrome, they give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera, I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew when I was single
Brought 'em all together for one night
I know they'd never match my sweet imagination
Everything looks worse in black and white

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away . . .

4 comments:

silvergirl said...

First, thanks for stopping by my blog
Second, how sweet to say I don't look 40 yet, did you have your glasses on??? I have a birthday coming next month and I will be way closer to 50 than I would like to think.
Third, love the post on the film. It is mind boggling how many things are now obsolete from when I was a teen and now that my boys are teens.

raydenzel1 said...

silvergirl
I was wearing my glasses!
I have been known to recognize beauty in older women and to let them know I appreciate it.
The older I get the more things change. many for the better.

linda said...

I am pretty sad about the demise of slides. We have so many here. Nothing takes a photo as beautiful. Digital will never cut it compared to Kodachrome.

Fortunately Fuji are still at it so I can get some slides developed.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda
You are correct. Film has a depth to it digital can't capture.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...