Monday, February 14, 2011

Too Much Time On My Hands!

We have an open floor plan in our house as you walk in. Except for the dining area. A huge wall looks back at you. We had placed a fireplace ( non-working ) along that wall, but it didn't seem to be enough. The wife spotted a faux stone at Costco. We both liked it. So the adventure began.  The wall goes up to 12 ft. high and about 8 ft. wide.

The three sizes run approximately 4 x 6, 4 x 8, and 4 x 12. The colors and shapes are random, a mixture of rusty beiges, rust, terra-cotta, and shades of grey. There is no set way of laying them out. You can flip them upside down, right side up. You mix the sizes, the only thing is to have an overlapping so the edges don't line up. It is almost like doing a painting, adding color and shape as you see fit.

Ah no, I hadn't done this before, so we are happy with the results. Besides the stone, all I used was a large notch trowel and  ( 3)  3 1/2 tubs of pre mixed tile and stone adhesive. I went with the best adhesive, this is not the time to skimp.

The beginning


moving the fireplace



there were no directions on how to lay it out
I used the box as a starting point



the bottom rows are of course the most important
always checking the level
I used a torpedo bubble level and I also used a 4 foot level



so far so good
you can see the cutout I made for the outlet



higher



no ladder yet



not yet



first the 4 foot ladder



six foot ladder time


almost time for a change




yep the 8 ft ladder makes it appearance



the real thinking part will soon start



finished!

I worked on my days off and before going to work on my late start days. 10 hours on Wednesday, 5 hours on Thursday, 10 hours on Friday, 5 hours on Saturday. Each pice was buttered with the glue, and then placed  in place and checked for level.  Very tiring. That was a lot of ups and downs on the ladders. In the dining room we changed one wall a color taken from the stone. I think you will like it. I will show that later after I finish a smaller wall . Yes, I am not done . sigh...

later
Ray

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...