Monday, May 9, 2011

Man vs. Machine

Ok, if a bike can be called a machine it certainly qualifies. It belonged to oen of my daughters and sat unused for many years. It is old, showing some rust, paint chipping, a 12 speed I think. 


If I told you how many years it has been since I rode a bike we would share a big laugh. If you have been reading my posts, you would know I have been fighting knee problems. So I decided to give it a go.

The old saying you don't forget how to ride is true. The first thirty feet was very shaky but soon I was back in the groove. The tires are meant for trail riding, knobby instead of smooth so it is not a friendly ride but it stills works.

I started with one mile to see how my knee would react, so far so good. I am up to six miles a day now. I must admit it is not fun yet. My butt still hurts as it gets used to the seat, I know it will get better over time.

When I am doing 10 to 15 miles I may consider a better bike, but I will wait for awhile. Just to be sure.
I don't want it to stand in the corner of the garage begging to be used.

A bit of a boring post I guess but it will do.

coffee time
ray

5 comments:

linda said...

I need to get back on my bike(s). They are so lovely to look at but I am a bit lazy. I might take one out this weekend. My road bike has a new "friendlier" seat after the last one left me a bit numb.

Keep it going. Bikes should be ridden.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda
This is the first step to get ready for OxFam here in the states. I contacted them today. They are about a year out so I will be ready.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda
I did make it to 12 miles today. I think I will stay there for awhile.

linda said...

RJ: I am still suffering some mechanical issues from the Oxfam walk. Five of my toenails are black and I am about to lose one. Plus some significant hip pain which requires an xray next week.

However, I will do it again next year.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda
I did some reading and I think the shoes did you in. Losing a toenail is a very painful situation to be in. I have had that happen to me on more then one occasion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...