Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Tree Has To Go

I have a dying tree outside my fence in my back yard. I never did like it because of the tremendous amount of leaves and seeds it dropped everywhere including in my pool. But it did offer some shade and I was reluctant to cut it down.

There is another small tree that is attached to it, using the old tree as a host to live on. It has probably hastened the demise of the other tree.


a different view


here you can see the small tree
growing on the side



I did have a visitor stop by.
I ran in to get the camera



It was not really happy to see me
and started to turn to leave



slowly at first it ambled away



as  it got closer to the water
it really picked up speed
running to the relative safety of the water

The water levels are way down
as the rainy season has been slow to start


I wanted to take a picture
as it went in but there was no time



the finished look for now.
It was hot out. The good news is that the
falling limbs did not damage the fence.
and I did not get knocked off the ladder
or get hurt.
That is a very good thing!


Of course there was cleanup
involved. Tree limbs can be very
heavy so it took time
but now it is ready for pick up on
Monday.



It was not an exciting day
but it was a successful day.


coffee time

ray

5 comments:

middle child said...

I am jealous you have a pool. But I just wanted you to know.....it's ALWAYS coffee time!

linda said...

RJ: Oh, hate to see trees go even when they have to. I find it fascinating how everyone can see into everyone's yard. Is the pool in the backyard? It seems so open.

Good photos.

raydenzel1 said...

Middle child

There is always a cost associated with something as nice as a pool. But on a very hot day, it is so worth it. Coffee time or beer time!

Linda

I hate to cut down trees too. This one is shedding bark, infested with ants and very susceptible to high winds. Some smaller limbs fall after a big storm. I hope to hold on to the bigger tree long enough for the smaller one to grow larger.

The pool is in the back yard. It does have an open feel. In this area many yards are screened in which gives some privacy and keeps out the bugs and the leaves. Sometimes it is the angle of the home or the elevation which seems to offer a view but doesn't.

I will get around to doing some backyard-pool pictures at some point.

and you never know what creature will stop by to visit!

Kat Mortensen said...

That is the most prehistoric looking turtle I have ever seen! His shell is so flat and encrusted and his head is miniscule next to those big flipper-feet! Wow!

The sapling at the base of the tree should have been cut off years ago. You're right; that little parasitic tree has sapped all the energy from the big on. That's too bad.

Kat

raydenzel1 said...

kat
The pavers are six inches wide. I guess the turtle was 18-20 inches long. You are right, very flat. At first I thought it was a snapping turtle, but I am not sure.

As for the tree, the new is actually nicer then the old. If let alone it would eventually engulf the old one.

I had quite the adventure.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...