Friday, May 18, 2012

My problem is I have never been a bad boy!

 and it appears I have been missing out. like being chosen last on the playground for a game, I never had a chance.



Science Explains Why Women Want Bad Boys

Researchers seek to explain why women sometimes prefer rebellious renegades over dependable dudes.

By Kristin Wong 21 hours ago
Photo: Hal Bergman/Getty ImagesEver since James Dean put on that red jacket and held a switchblade to Buzz's neck, women have had a thing for bad boys. No—even before that. In the cold confines of a lonely cave, some Homo erectus was probably kicking back in his motorcycle boots, brooding over the light of a warm fire, while a lovestruck cavewoman swooned from afar.
The point is, women love bad boys. And now, thanks to science, there's no denying it. Kristina Durante, a professor at The University of Texas at San Antonio, said in a statement:
"Previous research has shown in the week near ovulation women become attracted to sexy, rebellious and handsome men like George Clooney or James Bond. But until now it was unclear why women would ever think it's wise to pursue long-term relationships with these kinds of men."
Durante, along with a team of researchers, performed a study on a group of women during periods of both high and low fertility. The women were asked to view the online dating profiles of both nice guys and "sexy cads" (their words, not mine). From there, the ladies were to determine the parenting potential of the men in the photos.
And here's where the hormones come in. During the time of ovulation, women tended to perceive the bad boys as better future fathers and more dependable relationship partners. Their rating of the nice guys, however, stayed the same, whether they were ovulating or not.
"Under the hormonal influence of ovulation, women delude themselves into thinking that the sexy bad boys will become devoted partners and better dads," said Durante. "When looking at the sexy cad through ovulation goggles, Mr. Wrong looked exactly like Mr. Right,” said Durante.
Aside from sounding like a bawdy joke gift from Spencer's, "ovulation goggles" seem to have some significance. They completed another study, in which the women interacted directly with male actors who were either playing the role of reliable dad or sexy cad. The results were the same. The ovulating women believed the cad was the better dad.
So, great. Now there's scientific proof that we women like bad boys. What are we going to tell the nice guys now? But really, what is a bad boy? Depending on who you ask, the characteristics of a bad boy can range from dismissive to downright abusive.
When asked about her love of bad boys, actress Scarlett Johansson once attempted to dissect the expression:
"I’m attracted to the quality of being adventurous and perhaps a bit mischievous and also questioning authority and being proactive," she told Cosmopolitan. "If that makes up a quintessential bad boy, then whatever. I’m not at all attracted to meanness or bullying, but I do think conviction is attractive."
Adventure, conviction, the courage to question authority—who wouldn't like that? But I suppose the problem is that, in reality, those ingredients usually mingle to form your typical love-them-and-leave them rebel who, bottom line, may not be as dependable as a nice guy.
If you've got a thing for bad boys, go for it. Just don't expect them to change, because "but my period said you were different" won't get you through a heartbreak.
Photo: Hal Bergman/Getty Images 

12 comments:

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

Heh. You said 'homo erectus.'
Yes, the bad boy. Grr. Struggle with that before. But I ain't a dummy anymore.
Really well written, RJ! :)

Crack You Whip said...

I do like 'em like that, but I like my good ones, too. Heck, I like 'em all!

Pearl said...

Someone should've explained this to me a long time ago.

Dammit, R!! Where were you?!!

Pearl

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
I wished I had written this, this is an article from MSN, but I agree with it. I guess it is the element of danger that a woman likes. And she thinks she will be the one.

Crack you
Guys can be like that. What we think we want and what really want are two different things.

As long as I am on someone's list...

raydenzel1 said...

Pearl

I am here where I have always been.

aw Pearl, so sweet

...as I reach for my leather bikers jacket...

Anonymous said...

Nah, I like em sweet and you're sweet. Thanks for the nod R.J., I really appreciate it. Hugs

~Coach said...

I'm buying it - I'm a great guy and I've seen the women go for the 'geniuses' my whole life... :)

Nancy Thompson said...

I think they got a bit of that wrong. I've always loved bad boys, but it's certainly not because I thought they'd make a good dad. It's their strength and self-confidence that reels me in most, as well as their sense of adventure and desire to snub their nose at typical convention. I've never been one of those folks who :fit in." And I don't want my children, too, either. I want them to stand out from the crowd. Maybe that's why I think a bad boy might make a good father.

BTW - I married a bad boy, and he turned into the greatest husband and father ever. Whodathunkit?!

Great thought-provoking pot!!

Nancy Thompson said...

POST!! not pot...oops!

klahanie said...

Over here they call "bad boys", "lovable rogues". And speaking of 'bad boy' as in me, of course, I say great pot, sorry Nancy:) great post!
Have a good weekend Ray and behave yourself or whatever.....

middle child said...

Now I would never see a bad boy as a good father but a roll in the hay? Hells yeah!

raydenzel1 said...

Coach
I have to agree.

Gene Pool
I am blushing

Nancy
Yes, you and Scarlet seem to agree.

Klahanie
yes, by any other name. I think behaving needs to be put on the shelf.

Middle child
Perception is reality. Being the act of sex starts in the mind...

Monday I will do a repost of a writing I did about a year ago on the bad boy subject. Hope to see you then. Thanks for the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...