Friday, June 8, 2012

Mom would be so happy, Soups on!

I went on a soup quest after last Thanksgiving. Having plenty of turkey around I decided to make soup. Now I haven't attempted this for many years, have fallen victim to the convenience of Campbells and Progressive soups.
But as time went on, I decided it was time to make my own, and the timing couldn't be better.

With the un-natural additives and chemicals in the can lining, it was time to go home made. It has been surprisingly easy. Most of the time it has been a vegetable style, a mixture of maybe cabbage, celery, carrots, tomato, potato, sometimes the on hand noodle and sometimes dumping a package of frozen vegetables for a change of pace. A bit of seasoning to taste and that is it. I like because I control what goes in and how much.


And then wait. Bringing it to a boil and then simmer for an hour or so. 

I make at least two big pots a week. Mostly for lunch. Working retail has its own strange hours so soup is the perfect meal. I change it up a bit to keep from getting bored but so far after eight months of soup everyday, I still look forward to it.

But I am the only one that eats it. Even though the family all agrees it smells good, none will eat it. Or taste it.

oh well. 
More for me. 
Mom would be proud.

coffee time and eying the pot of soup on the stove...

ray

6 comments:

~Coach said...

Soup??? It's JUNE?!!! :)

raydenzel1 said...

Coach
I know soup is a cold weather comfort food, but this is Florida where cold weather is when it gets below 70!

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm surprised by your family's boycott of soup. They must be addicted to salt and preservatives. More for you, bad for them.

raydenzel1 said...

Joanne
At first it bothered me, but not now/ More for me indeed!

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

Sounds awesome to me, RJ!! Save me a bowl. I can really tell the difference when I make homemade soup - so nice to taste the ingredients and not the preservatives.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
you will always eat good around here. happy to share!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...