Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Want to piss me off, tell me you think I am too old to move something!

One of our outside garden women came in looking for help moving a heavy shed for a customer. I knew what she was talking about as I had helped move the same shed three times before, not with her.
It is very heavy and one has to be careful. It weighs as much as a refrigerator, a bit taller but about 8 inches wide by 4 foot by 7 foot high.

But it can be done.

She walked by me, did not acknowledge my answer and went to ask some younger guys instead. They all agreed that I could do it. I did not want them to stop unloading our night truck. Reluctantly she agreed and off we went, she doubting my ability to get things done. Bt the time we got out there a few people managed to move it so my help was not needed.

But as I walked away, I was furious. Is that is what people think of me? I know what I can do and how to do it. I know what I can move and lift. Not by the weight and size but I just know how.

But instead I must look like a doddering old fool
If I want to have someone give me no respect, I can get that from the wife at home.

But not from my fellow workers, that was not expected.

I try not to be surprised at things in life, but sometimes I am caught unaware.
Another bitter lesson learned.

coffee time for this real old man

ray

7 comments:

middle child said...

These people should know you better. They must know all that you can do. Do what you do and don't worry about what other's think of you. People are stupid and coffee is the cure.
I have lifted and carried things I can't lift and carry. I'm angry/stubborn that way. Now I have an excuse not to do so - my aortic anyerism.

~Coach said...

When she walks by me unresponsive, she can find someone else to do it as far as I'm concerned... ;)

Joanne Noragon said...

Fun read for an almost seventy year old lady. Don't take it personal, and it really is OK they solved the problem without you. And, got the truck unloaded on time, too, no doubt. When you are ready to retire they will be well trained.

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Oooohh, those are definitely fighting actions. I get the same way - people's perceptions of women are really no different. "oh she's a girl, she can't possibly lift that." Well I can work circles around a lot of people - growing up a farm girl had its benefits.

raydenzel1 said...

Middle, Coach, Joanne, Travel

We will kiss and make up. Being she is very pretty...
I found out that she thought I might get hurt, being I have a messed up knee. She wanted someone else more expendable I guess.
It just wounded what is left of my manly pride. I guess I was more embarrassed then anything. I do grunt work all day, sometimes they forget that.
sigh
ray

Cameron said...

The late fifties seem to be an awkward time, when one is considered "old" by younger folks, but we still view ourselves as relatively "young".

Ageism is an ongoing problem in every field, I think. As a professional symphonic musician, I am now too old to take auditions -- not that I want to at this stage, anyway -- but it is a fact of life that orchestras usually discourage applicants over 40.

raydenzel1 said...

cameron
you are the only french horn player that I know, a very select field. I am but a humble retail worker almost at the end of the road. Ageism, hadn't thought of that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...