Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cursive writing is like Latin, Dead

I was out and about yesterday getting my phone looked at ( new replacement on the way ) and was talking about minutes used and texting and talking. My kids text more the they talk, way more. He laughed and said now a days people talk with their thumbs.

He has a younger brother living in northern Florida whose school had stopped teach cursive. I was only mildly surprised. Why? Hasn't printing and spellcheck thank god for it or people would think that I am illiterate  taken over everything?

Isn't true the only time you use cursive is when you have to sign something? Isn't it also true that most of the time you can't read it anyway?

So maybe it is a good thing after all.

I will miss the flourishes of beautiful handwriting.

A lost art, much like calligraphy.

time soon for a cursive bottle of beer

like I need an excuse

ray

3 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Two of my grandchildren were taught cursive before printing. Montessori. They currently are 8 and 10. My daughter thinks it is superior learning. I wonder if cursive was a waste of time.

middle child said...

I miss journaling. I love paper and colored inks and all that writing encompasses. (I can't spell either.) My journaling is on line now because I found out that Hunter was reading my journals. Perhaps I will go back to that anyway. He knows how I feel.
BTW, I do believe beer makes reading cursive easier.

raydenzel1 said...

Joanne
I think it is, much like algebra.

Middle
word processors changed everything along with spellcheck. Let me get a beer and see if I can read what I just wrote!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...