Sunday, December 9, 2012

Reaching A Crossroads

I have come up against a financial crossroads in this late stage of my life. I have to say with all honesty my career choice hasn't worked out. Sometimes one needs a bit of luck to make things work out in sales. I have needed luck here and there and luck has sat on the sidelines, giggling at me. What a knee slapper. The plus and minuses of commission sales.

I have been surprised at the lack of professionalism on the part of many businessmen or women that I have run in to, a lack of commitment one would expect. Also what has surprised me is the inability on many to say yes or no.
Waffling indecisively.

But maybe it is my fault after all. People buy when they see value or a sense of need. I have failed to convey that.
I have however grown in my social skills and my boldness in meeting people and maybe, just maybe, something good will come of that.

The people I work with want me to succeed, partly because they like me but part of it is the business cycle, to make the group grow as a hole. In business, without growth there is death. And financially, I am dying.

I have run out of money tricks. My aching knees tell me that all the options out there are not good ones and the ones on the short list certainly don't pay well, which means cobbling together mediocre jobs to pay the bills.

to be continued...

buy me a cup of coffee?

ray

8 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Cobbling together jobs is a good option, but keep your eye on the prize. You've studied and trained, so keep your hand in!

raydenzel1 said...

Joanne
We were at a party last night that our financial planner puts on every year. I was somewhat the center of attention because I had donated an AFLAC pillow duck which they raffled off to raise money for a charity. His new partner was introduced to me and she was quite nice and helpful, talking about networking events with me. Just maybe, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, maybe.

Pearl said...

I would absolutely buy you a cup of coffee, R.

Like my dad says, "There's 9 "no"s for every 1 "yes" in Sales. Now is no time to get sensitive!"

:-) Pulling for you in Mpls,

Pearl

Deborah said...

Networking is everything Ray. I don't have to tell you that. That's how I finally wrangled the position I'm in right now contract player I may be.

Have you joined a networking group? They are invaluable. I had joined BNI here locally before I decided to not work for my husband's biz. Poke around maybe?

Join two if you can afford the time. BNI was a group that cost money, but I do know there are free ones out there.

raydenzel1 said...

Pearl
My cup is ready! Dad is right, I know. Sometimes it is the right job but wrong organization. The right fit I guess is what I need.

Deborah
I have gone to a few free ones, a small one for several weeks. Nothing seemed to happen as yet. I will keep trying, but of course.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts and encouragement! ;-)

klahanie said...

Hi Ray,

And with this financial crossroads at the time of life you may have least expected it, an opportunity dawns around the corner.

This might be the time to further your writing ambitions.

If you can stomach a British coffee, I would gladly buy you one.

Gary

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I'm sure it's a sign of the "times". People place value elsewhere and it's unfortunate because it will come back to "bite" them.

Sales is an extremely thankless position, but I commend you for stepping outside your comfort zone and trying something different.

Your skills will take you far, just maybe not at the pace you need to go.

Keep your chin up and chug along. (hugs)

raydenzel1 said...

Klahanie
Writing ambitions? You are the second person to say that recently. I fear I am just a keyboard player in a rock and roll band. nice thought though.

Travel
Thanks for the hugs. Yes , it could be a right job, wrong fit. Looking inward and outward.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...