Friday, December 14, 2012

You must be important, I saw your photo in the society pictures darling!

I was invited to attend a network at a grand opening of a full service salon last night. Music playing and champagne pouring, my kind of night out. Except I had never done anything like this before.  When I pulled into the parking lot, I parked in the corner so that no one would notice my old pick up truck next to the BMW's. I am not used to wearing a blazer anymore, so as I walked in I draped it over my arm, very Gary Grant like.

I signed in at got my raffle ticket and wandered in through the crowd looking for the lady who invited me when a pretty lady came up to me and told me she was my new friend and would give me a tour. (She was from Romania and when she talked I knew I was in love!) As we walked around I was showered with compliments.

The first one from a lady who said she loved my hair! (Really!) I thanked her and said, yes and it's all mine. She said that made it even nicer.  Someone loved my tie, my smile, and so on. I did my usual hand kissing of course, part of what I did back in my bar tending days. Yes, oh so charming. Someone asked if I worked in the plaza where the event was. Someone wanted to know if I was in banking. Quite a head turner night  for me. I met several nice people and exchanged a few business cards. They did hold the raffle and I came close
several times to winning, smilingly complaining to the woman running the event.

A photographer came around with camera in hand and I ended up in a picture with the owner of the spa. I am worried that the camera will add 40 lbs. to how I look. (not photogenic) Late on I did introduce myself to her so she would not be wondering who I am. She did ask for my card later on. The photo will be in the local newspaper somewhere down the road. A star was born!

Then it was time for me to go. I was invited to another, different event next Tuesday and yes I will attend. Even though my job has not been productive, this ended the night on a positive note.

One never knows how the day will evolve.

Give me your tired and your poor, we have a lot in common.

coffee time

ray

4 comments:

swami said...

They were all "Paid actors". A little more stylish than those Corporate meetings. Glad you had a good time. Well written piece.

Erastus J. Christian-"the swami"

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I've always said...it's who you know NOT what you know. I say it, but don't necessarily believe it.

raydenzel1 said...

Swami
It was an interesting night and the champagne was a nice change of pace. I left before I had the urge to start singing and dancing!

Travel
Maybe one thing will lead to another lol

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

I could totally picture you in this whole scene, RJ! You described it really well.
Glad you had fun. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...