Sunday, February 3, 2013

There is no such thing as dying peaceably in your sleep

A friend from up in Chicago called to let me know that a neighbor of mine growing up had died, she was 91. He told me that she had not been sick or ill and just one day did not wake up. He said she had died peaceably in her sleep.

Bullshit!

Peaceably. All that means is that she did not get hit by a car or a truck or shot or stabbed or whatever. Dying in bed is that much better?

I am betting that when the time comes your mind is screaming no,no,no,not yet as your body starts to shut down. You can't move, you want to cry out but no words come out and there is no one to hear you. Fear takes over as your body does what it can to stay alive. Your body may not be moving but in side you are doing jumping jacks trying to stay alive.

Conclusion? There is no good way to stop living. But this is just the thoughts of an old doddering old man, what do I know.

breakfast and then coffee

ray

5 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I had a massive stroke. There was no pain. For a while I watched the world from afar. I was not afraid. It was interesting. Then the grey settled in and I was unconscious. Not afraid. Then there were clot busters and I woke up. Still not afraid.

Early in January we watched our young cat sigh and die. Stroke? Aneurysm?

I hope you feel better about your friend dying peaceably in her sleep.

Vapid Vixen said...

My last grandparent just passed away on Friday. She was 99 and has been "praying for Jesus to take me" since she was in her 80's.
I'm pretty sure once she finally got over there she was demanding to know what the hell took so damn long.

Jay said...

I see the positivity bug has not been caught over here...still...after years.

Jay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
raydenzel1 said...

Joanne
Thank you so much for your insight. Very revealing. Thanks for the kind words.

Vapid Vixen
I can understand, especially if she was lonely or in constant pain. I bet she raised hell in heaven! Thanks for signing on.

Jay
I am so sorry I have disappointed you. I am hoping with over a thousand post there might be something you would like. Oh well, see you in a couple years, might I do better.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...