Thursday, September 11, 2014

The disappearing man

Almost to the day from a year ago, I have lost 30 lbs. The last 12 lbs have come from giving up candy, cake, cookies, and ice cream. I bring coffee (black), tea (unsweetened) and water to drink throughout the work day, close to 120 ounces, each day. I do eat something for breakfast and dinner when I get home.  I never hit the vending machines at work.

This is not rocket science of course. I am old or getting older. I hurt in many areas, knees and heel bone spurs are on the list.

I am on my feet upwards to 12 hours a day, sometimes more. The last few hours, as the sales floor slows down, the mind no longer occupied becomes painful. I experiment with food choices. I realized long ago the addiction to sugar. The more I read I realized sugar wasn't the only culprit.

Processed foods. It is not real food is it? Additives. Artificial coloring. Artificial flavoring.
Natural flavoring. Whiteners.

Is it real food? How can it be? When you go through the drive in and order up and complain how long it took to get your food (we all have), ever wonder what you are eating that can be served so quickly? Chicken nuggets? boneless wings? pretend ice cream? hamburgers? (why do they call it a ham-burger when there is no ham in it?) but I digress.

Cheap food is not real food. It can't be good for you.

Labels. Read them. Spend some time looking up what the ingredients mean and do. Titanium dioxide is a whitener and it is on a golf ball and in paint.  Trisodium  phosphate, known as tsp, in the paint aisle, used to de-grease walls before painting, in foods. Be aware, be active, do it. If not for you, for your kids.

Next.
Another 30 lbs. Even then, that will bring me back to 1980 weight wise. Not enough but goals have to be attainable.

Wish me luck, wish us all luck. I will need it.

Ray

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...